FAA Part 107 Drone Test Prep
FAA rules allow anyone who passes an FAA knowledge test to fly drones commercially. This FAA certification is required for all drone operations, except those that are purely for recreation.
If you do any of the following, you will need to hold an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate:
- Aerial photography
- Land surveys and mapping
- Public safety, security, and law enforcement
- Agricultural surveillance
- Industrial equipment inspections
- Construction site surveys
- Mining operations
Our next class is in Eagan, MN. Slots are limited and filling quickly.
Cost for the one-day course is only $399.
Complete FAA Knowledge Test Preparation
You will learn everything you need to know in order to pass the FAA exam and operate your drone safely.
Who Is The Class For?
This class is for drone pilots who want to become FAA Certified for Commercial Operations.
The main focus of the class is preparing you for the FAA exam and getting your Remote Pilot License.
Because the focus is on passing the FAA exam rather than how to fly drones, the class is appropriate for beginners and experienced pilots alike.
You'll learn all of the following:
- Legal and regulatory considerations for drone operations
- Certification requirements and operating rules
- Obtaining waivers for select operating rules
- National Airspace System
- Classification of airspace
- Special use airspace
- Temporary Flight Restrictions and Notices to Airmen
- Air traffic control
- Airport operations
- Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Power systems
- Radio receivers, transmitters, and telemetry
- Care, operation, and maintenance of lithium batteries
- Aircraft loading, weight and balance
- Meterological factors in small unmanned aircraft flight
- Flight crews, crew resource management, and aeronautical decision making
- Aeromedical and psychological factors
- Preflight operations
- Normal operations
- Emergency operations
- Accident reporting requirements and procedures
- Aircraft maintenance and airworthiness requirements
You'll walk away with all course materials, including slides, worksheets, and reference materials. You'll also walk away with clear direction on how to further your skills and step-by-step instructions for getting your FAA license. Tuition also includes the Remote Pilot Resource Pack:
- Twin Cities Aeronautical Sectional Chart
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Terminal Area Chart
- North Central Chart Supplement (Airport/Facilities Directory)
- Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
- Federal Aviation Regulations (digital copy)
- Airman's Information Manual (digital copy)
- Study Checklist
What's Not Included
This course does not include any actual drone flying. Here's why:
- The focus is on how to get your FAA certification, not how to manipulate the controls.
- Some students will already have drone flying experience.
Meet The Instructor
Founder & CEO, Twin Cities Drone School
M.Ed., Business and Industry Education, University of Minnesota
Private Pilot License, Airplane Single Engine Land, with Instrument Rating
Remote Pilot Certificate with sUAS Rating
Joel Roggenkamp is a friendly and experienced educator and aviator who takes a student-centered approach to his teaching. He got his start in aerospace education at the age of 14, when he was appointed Aerospace Education Officer of his local Civil Air Patrol squadron. He took the Model Rocketry curriculum he developed there to St. Cloud Community Education, and later to North Hennepin Community College. In addition, he has five years of teaching experience ranging from middle school and high school, to teaching database development courses at the graduate level.
His aviation experience includes Cessna 152s and 172s, and most recently, flight time in a light sport Pipistrel Alpha. As well, Joel has been building and flying small unmanned aircraft systems for six years and is very excited to see where the industry will go, now that the FAA has finalized its rules on drone operations.
Kind words from our graduates
If you're thinking about getting your license, you MUST take this class, as it would be really difficult to gather this information on your own.
Eagan, MN, November 18, 2017
Interesting, information-filled day!
Lakeville, MN, March 4, 2017
Joel was very helpful and receptive when questions were asked, and hit all of the important points for the test.
Lakeville, MN, March 4, 2017
Very professional training with good material presented.
Eagan, MN, November 18, 2017
Great information presented in a well thought-out manner. Nice to have maps and books. The instructor was very well prepared and knowledgeable.
Nisswa, MN, September 19, 2016
I left feeling perfectly prepared to take the written test.
Lakeville, MN, September 24, 2016
Sign up for our next class
- Regular Price: $399
- FAA exam must be scheduled separately. FAA testing centers may charge fees for the test.
- Hibbing Taconite
- Ron Schara Productions
- Orbital ATK
- KIMT-TV Rochester
- WEAU-TV Eau Claire
- Dyno Nobel
- Barr Engineering
- Weiss Realty
- Cleveland Cliffs
- Superior Industries
Contact UsTwin Cities Drone School
Phone: (763) 412-1698
Send Us An Email
Past Classes06/29/2018: Durand, WI
06/09/2018: Eagan, MN
05/15/2018: Virginia, MN
04/26/2018: Minneapolis, MN
04/21/2018: Eagan, MN
04/17/2018: Durand, WI
03/29/2018: Golden Valley, MN
03/20/2018: Morris, MN
02/27/2018: Rochester, MN
02/17/2018: Eagan, MN
02/08/2018: Eau Claire, WI
01/06/2018: Brainerd, MN
11/18/2017: Eagan, MN
10/05/2017: Hibbing, MN
09/09/2017: Eagan, MN
07/08/2017: Eagan, MN
05/06/2017: Eagan, MN
04/01/2017: Eagan, MN
03/20/2017: Virginia, MN
03/04/2017: Lakeville, MN
12/03/2016: Lakeville, MN
09/24/2016: Lakeville, MN
09/19/2016: Brainerd, MN
As Seen InMinnesota Monthly
St. Paul Pioneer Press
Pine and Lakes Echo