FAA Part 107 Drone Test Prep
FAA rules allow anyone who passes an FAA knowledge test to fly drones commercially. This FAA certification is required for all drone operations, except those that are purely for recreation.
If you do any of the following, you will need to hold an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate:
- Aerial photography
- Land surveys and mapping
- Mining and aggregates
- Industrial equipment inspections
- Agricultural surveillance
- Construction site surveys
- Public safety, security, and law enforcement
Our next class is in Online Only. Slots are limited and filling quickly.
Cost for the one-day course is only $299.
Complete FAA Knowledge Test Preparation
You will learn everything you need to know in order to pass the FAA exam and operate your drone safely.
Who Is The Class For?
This class is for drone pilots who want to become FAA Certified for Commercial Operations.
The main focus of the class is preparing you for the FAA exam and getting your Remote Pilot License.
Because the focus is on passing the FAA exam rather than how to fly drones, the class is appropriate for beginners and experienced pilots alike.
You'll learn all of the following:
- Legal and regulatory considerations for drone operations
- Certification requirements and operating rules
- Obtaining waivers for select operating rules
- National Airspace System
- Classification of airspace
- Special use airspace
- Temporary Flight Restrictions and Notices to Airmen
- Air traffic control
- Airport operations
- Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Power systems
- Radio receivers, transmitters, and telemetry
- Care, operation, and maintenance of lithium batteries
- Aircraft loading, weight and balance
- Meterological factors in small unmanned aircraft flight
- Flight crews, crew resource management, and aeronautical decision making
- Aeromedical and psychological factors
- Preflight operations
- Normal operations
- Emergency operations
- Accident reporting requirements and procedures
- Aircraft maintenance and airworthiness requirements
You'll walk away with all course materials, including slides, worksheets, and reference materials. You'll also walk away with clear direction on how to further your skills and step-by-step instructions for getting your FAA license. Tuition also includes the Remote Pilot Resource Pack:
- Free access to our eight hour online video course
- Practice exams
- Twin Cities Aeronautical Sectional Chart
- Minneapolis-St. Paul Terminal Area Chart
- North Central Chart Supplement (Airport/Facilities Directory)
- Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
- Federal Aviation Regulations (digital copy)
- Airman's Information Manual (digital copy)
- Study Checklists
What's Not Included
This course does not include any actual drone flying. Here's why:
- The focus is on how to get your FAA certification, not how to manipulate the controls.
- Some students will already have drone flying experience.
Meet The Instructor
Founder, Twin Cities Drone School
M.Ed., Business and Industry Education, University of Minnesota
Private Pilot License, Airplane Single Engine Land, with Instrument Rating
Remote Pilot Certificate with sUAS Rating
Joel Roggenkamp is a friendly and experienced educator and aviator who takes a student-centered approach to his teaching. He got his start in aerospace education at the age of 14, when he was appointed Aerospace Education Officer of his local Civil Air Patrol squadron. He took the Model Rocketry curriculum he developed there to St. Cloud Community Education, and later to North Hennepin Community College. In addition, he has five years of teaching experience ranging from middle school and high school, to teaching database development courses at the graduate level.
His aviation experience includes Cessna 152s and 172s, and most recently, flight time in a light sport Pipistrel Alpha. As well, Joel has been building and flying small unmanned aircraft systems for six years and is very excited to see where the industry will go, now that the FAA has finalized its rules on drone operations.
Kind words from our graduates
Twin Cities Drone School is an excellent resource for anyone pursuing Part 107 certification. I attended the in-person class and found the curriculum to be well organized and the study materials handed out were very helpful as well. Above all, Joel was very knowledgeable and personable. He was able to present complex concepts in an easy to understand way and even made it fun. I also made use of Joel’s online course at Top Flight Drone School and found it to be equally well organized and thorough. Using only the materials he provided I was able to pass the Part 107 test with a score of 92% - no small feat for someone out of college for many years. Thanks, Joel!
Eagan, MN, February 9, 2019
A great class for the beginner with zero experience or someone who regularly flies. The class was well-organized and interesting.
Eagan, MN, October 6, 2018
If you're thinking about getting your license, you MUST take this class, as it would be really difficult to gather this information on your own.
Eagan, MN, November 18, 2017
Very professional training with good material presented.
Eagan, MN, November 18, 2017
I left feeling perfectly prepared to take the written test.
Lakeville, MN, September 24, 2016
Sign up for our next class
- Regular Price: $399
- Live stream discounted price: $299
- Includes access to our eight hour online video course
- FAA exam must be scheduled separately. FAA testing centers may charge fees for the test.
Online Class Schedule
This is a three-part class. Plan to attend ALL THREE of the sessions:
- Wednesday, October 7: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday, October 14: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday, October 12: 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Important Information for Online Live Stream Classes
- You will receive your books, maps, and study materials in the mail prior to the first class.
- You'll get a link to the online meetings in your email a day prior to the class.
- Hibbing Taconite
- Ron Schara Productions
- Orbital ATK
- KIMT-TV Rochester
- WEAU-TV Eau Claire
- Mint Roofing
- Anderson Companies
- Ulland Brothers Construction
- Nodak Insurnace
- St. Louis County, MN
- Best Buy
- Marathon Petroleum
- Dyno Nobel
- Barr Engineering
- Weiss Realty
- Cleveland Cliffs
- Superior Industries
- US Minerals
- Morris Area Schools
- City of Minneapolis
Past Classes08/24/2020: Online Live Stream
04/24/2020: Online Live Stream
06/24/2019: Morris, MN
04/06/2019: Eagan, MN
02/19/2019: South St. Paul, MN
02/15/2019: St. Paul Park, MN
02/09/2019: Eagan, MN
02/08/2019: St. Paul Park, MN
02/01/2019: Carlton, MN
01/04/2019: St. Louis Park, MN
12/08/2018: Eagan, MN
11/26/2018: Minneapolis, MN
10/22/2018: Roberts, WI
10/06/2018: Eagan, MN
09/17/2018: Long Lake, MN
08/20/2018: Live Stream Online
08/18/2018: Eagan, MN
06/29/2018: Durand, WI
06/09/2018: Eagan, MN
05/15/2018: Virginia, MN
04/26/2018: Minneapolis, MN
04/21/2018: Eagan, MN
04/17/2018: Durand, WI
03/29/2018: Golden Valley, MN
03/20/2018: Morris, MN
02/27/2018: Rochester, MN
02/17/2018: Eagan, MN
02/08/2018: Eau Claire, WI
01/06/2018: Brainerd, MN
11/18/2017: Eagan, MN
10/05/2017: Hibbing, MN
09/09/2017: Eagan, MN
07/08/2017: Eagan, MN
05/06/2017: Eagan, MN
04/01/2017: Eagan, MN
03/20/2017: Virginia, MN
03/04/2017: Lakeville, MN
12/03/2016: Lakeville, MN
09/24/2016: Lakeville, MN
09/19/2016: Brainerd, MN
As Seen InMinnesota Monthly
St. Paul Pioneer Press
Pine and Lakes Echo